Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The very hungry cater-Will-ar



“One Sunday morning the warm sun came up and - pop! - out of the egg came a tiny and very hungry caterpillar.” 
                                       Eric Carle, The Very Hungry Caterpillar





And so our party planning began. We love this book. I could tell the whole story without even opening the first page, I have read it so many times. I love the colors. I love the little tiny caterpillar and then how fat he gets. I love how our copy is so worn and softened (even though it is a board book), that you can "flap" the butterfly's wings on the last page. That is Jack's favorite part too. That and the word pickle, that always makes him giggle. So I started on a Hungry Caterpillar Party mission. I thought it was fitting since our little Will seems to have the appetite of the caterpillar in the story too. The part that made me sad-I found so many great party ideas, but we had no one to invite. We chose a few things and went with those. Jack and I made a banner to hang up. I tried and perfected the cake. I made the outfit. DONE. In the end, I invited the kids that Jack plays with next door over just for cake and ice cream to  beef up the celebration. SUCCESS!
Jack and I painted this using paper plates. 


I made him his little outfit as one of my sewing projects when my mom was here at the beginning of the month. It has been hanging in the closet and I have been so anxious to get it on him. The weather cooperated and it was a warm and sunny day with temperatures reaching into the high 80's. We had our well visit in the morning which included 3 shots and made poor Will kind of cranky. He took a 3 1/2hour nap when we got home! When he woke up there was a surprise waiting-Uncle Brendan had arrived. He drove from Hilton Head that morning (part of a journey that is helping friends of our family to get their car from Hilton Head back to RI). We played in the kiddie pool. There were golf lessons on the lawn. There were sticky, drippy Popsicles. 


Playing with the new "activity garden"







Present time-As Will intently listens to the card, Jack is ready to pounce!
Quick side note: That present has been sitting on the hutch for a week waiting to be opened. Every morning Jack asks if it is Will's birthday "so we can open the present." The kid could hardly contain himself at this point.
"Let me just have that envelope to chew on"

Jack-"I'll help!" Will-"Give me the ribbon"

Just checking my email.

Business meeting



The boys and Uncle B

Classic "Jack Face"

My masterpiece!





After dinner, the kids from next door came over and helped us to sing Happy Birthday to Will and enjoyed some cake and ice cream. It was small. I know Tom and I were both missing our families. Wishing for Will the big celebration that Jack has gotten. We hope he felt the love anyway. We know he loved the cake. We watched the photo montage video that Tom put together. We watched the video montage video that Brendan put together. We skyped with Gramma and Poppa, who also had a cake for Will. It was such a wonderful celebration. 


"I'm Ready"



All the kids!

Jack and Bella are on a date. 

Please note the "play ice cream scoop" that he ate with. 



YUUUUMMMM!!


6 comments:

  1. That banner is so fun & cute! And the cake...omg! You are such a fun & amazing mom to make such a special day for your boys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great episode. I wish I could have been there.


    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will - Happy 1st birthday to my special little 'sunshine' number two! You light up my life with your smile, your happy disposition and always with your cuddles. Bampa and I miss you SO MUCH!
    Love - KayKay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Will....we will be down there to see you and Jack pretty soon!!

    Love
    Gramma & Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did such a great job on the cake!! I'm sure Will loved every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much Jess and Julie. The cake was so fun to make and I really was so proud of how it came out!! The banner was a fun project for Jack and I to work on too. The internet is so dangerous for fun ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete